Dear LAFD Member,
I’d like to say how proud I am that we are able to offer a rich medical plan at such low premiums. As we near the end of Open Enrollment, I encourage you to review your medical benefit options closely and dig into how much each plan will really cost you. Your out-of-pocket costs consist of not only premium contributions, but also include deductibles, copays and coinsurance. LAFRA is confident that you will conclude that the LAFRA PPO Medical Plan is head and shoulders above the rest. There has been a lot of information provided to you during this Open Enrollment, so I’d like to clarify a few items to help you make an informed decision about your benefits.
- The LAFRA PPO Plan out of pocket cost for a Member or Member + 1 is $0.00. If you are in one of these coverage tiers, you do not have to pay a premium and you will have a medical plan that covers most benefits at 100% or with a minimal copay.
- There are NO HIGH DEDUCTIBLES that have to be met before our Plan benefits apply. Other HSA plans have family deductibles as high as $5,000 per year before they pay any benefits at all.
- LAFRA’s PPO Plan includes Retiree coverage. If you enroll in an HSA, the City will no longer make contributions to your HSA account after retirement.
- The LAFRA PPO Plan was created by firefighters for firefighters. All Plan management decisions are made by a team of your elected LAFRA Trustees. All appeals are handled between you and your fellow firefighter Trustees. No insurance company gets in the middle of your care or decides what your coverage looks like. No other medical plan can make that claim and no other medical plan is based solely on the best interests of LAFD firefighters and their families.
- LAFRA has a dedicated, full time staff on hand to answer your questions, either by phone or in person. We also have a dedicated on-site team from our Third Party Administrator (TPA) to answer your claims and benefit questions.
- Our PPO Plan premiums are also significantly lower than those of the UFLAC PPO. Changing from the UFLAC PPO to the LAFRA PPO will result in monthly premium savings of $92.00-$570.00, depending on your coverage tier. This translates into annual savings of $1,104 for someone with Member Only Coverage and $6,840 for someone with full family coverage.
- 100% of your LAFRA Board Members are enrolled in a LAFRA medical plan. 95% are enrolled in the LAFRA PPO Plan.
CLICK HERE TO VIEW
BENEFIT PLAN COMPARISONS
Please feel free to call our LAFRA staff at 323-259-5200 ext. 223 or 222 if you have questions about our benefits or any of the information you have received.
We want to make sure you are well informed to make the best decision for you and your family.
Robert D. Steinbacher