MINUTES OF THE SPECIAL BOARD MEETING
August 17, 2011
CALL TO ORDER
President John Jacobsen called the special meeting of the Board of Trustees of the Los Angeles Firemen’s Relief Association to order at 10:10 a.m. This meeting notice was sent to the Board 48 hours prior to the meeting.
- John Jacobsen, President
- Juan Albarran, Vice President
- Trustee Jeff Cawdrey – Battalion 1
- Trustee Gene Bednarchik – Battalion 2
- Trustee Gary Matsubara – Battalion 5
- Trustee Chris Hart – Battalion 6
- Trustee Rick Godinez – Battalion 7
- Trustee Robert Steinbacher – Battalion 14
- Trustee Steven Domanski – Battalion 15
- Trustee Francisco Hernandez – Battalion 17
- Trustee Steve Tufts – Battalion 18
- Trustee David Ortiz – Headquarters 1
- Trustee Kurt Stabel – Headquarters 2
- Trustee Barry Hedberg – Pension 2
- Trustee Tim Larson – Pension 3
- David Ned Smith – Executive Director
- Controller – Todd Layfer
- Trustee Michael Overholser, Battalion 3 (Excused)
- Trustee James Coburn – Battalion 4 (Excused)
- Trustee David Peters – Battalion 10 (Excused)
- Trustee Chris Stine – Battalion 11 (Excused)
- Trustee Craig White – Battalion 12 (Excused)
- Trustee Mark Akahoshi, Battalion 13 (Excused)
- Trustee Doak Smith – Battalion 9 (Excused)
- Trustee David Lowe – Pension 1 (Excused)
John Jacobsen informed that a member was present to appeal his suspension from Relief Membership to the Board. He stated that it is within the Board’s parameter to hear the member’s appeal and determine whether or not to allow reinstatement or continue the suspension.
The member informed the Board of his personal situation. Several Trustees asked the member questions to clarify their understanding of his situation.
The member was asked if he had anything more to tell the Board and since he had nothing to add, he left the meeting.
The Board discussed several options the member could take to have his membership in the Relief Association reinstated.
Tim Larson motioned to continue the member’s suspension and to provide the member a letter outlining the steps he could take to be reinstated. David Ortiz seconded. The Board agreed that the member must complete all steps in order for them to reconsider reinstating his membership. On the question, there was an objection. Thirteen voted in favor of the motion, one voted opposed.
Motion carried to continue the member’s suspension and to provide the member a letter outlining the steps he could take to be reinstated.
John Jacobsen entertained a motion to adjourn. Gary Matsubara so moved. Chris Hart seconded. There was no discussion and no objections.
Motion carried to adjourn.
The Board of Trustees meeting adjourned at 11:30am.
John Jacobsen, President