MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Special Board Meeting
April 22, 2010
CALL TO ORDER
President David Marino called the Special Board meeting to order at 11:50 a.m.
- David Marino, President
- John Jacobsen, Vice- President
- Trustee Gene Bednarchik – Battalion 2
- Trustee Juan Albarran – Battalion 3
- Trustee Mark Akahoshi, Battalion 5
- Trustee Tim Larson – Battalion 6
- Trustee Robert Steinbacher, Battalion 7
- Trustee Doak Smith, Battalion 9
- Trustee David Peters – Battalion 10
- Trustee Gary Matsubara, Battalion 11
- Trustee Chris Stine, Battalion 13
- Trustee Michael Overholser – Battalion 14
- Trustee Steven Domanski, Battalion 15
- Trustee Frank Hernandez – Battalion 17
- Trustee Chris Hart – Battalion 18
- Trustee David Ortiz – Headquarters 1
- Trustee Kurt Stabel – Headquarters 2
- Trustee David Lowe – Pension 1
- Trustee Barry Hedberg – Pension 2
- Trustee Ralph Brownell – Pension 3
- Secretary/Treasurer- Andy Kuljis
- Executive Director – David Ned Smith
- Controller-Treasurer – Todd Layfer
- Trustee Jeff Cawdrey, Battalion 1 (Excused)
- Trustee James Coburn, Battalion 4 (Excused)
- Trustee Craig White, Battalion 12 (Excused)
David Marino presented a gift from the Board of Trustees to Liz Perez for her 25 years of service to LAFRA. David Smith also mentioned that they provided a small luncheon for employees.
1) David Peters informed that the Medical Committee will enforce the higher rate premium for those retired members that have not been on the medical plan for 7 years.
2) John Jacobsen referred to members being off pending Board of Rights. He mentioned that the Chief has always had the ability to put one off to work and indicated that they have begun the practice lately. He asked the question as to how this will affect LAFRA and whether LAFRA will be able to assist those members. He personally felt that if a member was in good standing with the Relief Association, they should be able to apply for advancement. He stated that they need to address the issue and make sure that the Board remains on a united front for upcoming situations. David Marino indicated that Juan Albarran stated that it would be based on a case by case basis. The Board agreed to treat each case as a case by case basis.
3) John Jacobsen informed the Board that he had spoken with a few Board members from UFLAC and indicated that they were displeased with the fact that LAFRA placed a comparison between their plan and LAFRA’s plan with the open enrollment mailing. He stated that they implied that LAFRA published misinformation about UFLAC’s plan. He indicated that he had informed UFLAC that the information sent about UFLAC’s plan had been provided by UFLAC. He also informed UFLAC that a presentation about the Long-term disability plan had been presented to LAFRA. Overall he stated that they agreed on having a better communication line between the organizations.
4) John Jacobsen referred to the Long-term Disability opportunity presented to LAFRA by Ken Buzzell and the Floyd brothers and indicated that they need to respond to them with our decision.
David Lowe motioned to not accept the Long-term Care plan presented. Chris Hart seconded. There was further discussion and the Board decided to table the issue until further information was obtained.
Motion tabled until the next Board meeting.
The Board went into Executive Session and discussed a personnel action.
David Marino entertained a motion to adjourn the Special Board Meeting. David Peters so moved. Gary Matsubara seconded the motion. There was no discussion and no objections.
Motion carried to adjourn the Special Board meeting at 12:20p.m.
David Marino, President