The Relief established the Scholarship Awards Program in 1996 for all eligible dependents of active and retired Relief Association members. We’re proud to grant financial assistance to students who exemplify academic and personal achievements. Each year, the Relief awards college scholarships to the children of deserving members.
- The Leo K. Najarian Memorial Scholarship of $5,000
- The Bill Goss Scholarship of $2,500
- Three Relief Scholarship awards of $2,500
- Memorial Scholarship of $5,000
Scholarship Dates & Deadlines:
- Deadline Friday, March 27, 2015
- Application evaluation & testing April 11, 2015
- Winners announced June 3, 2015
For more information, email email@example.com.
History of the Relief Association Scholarship Program
The Leo K. Najarian Memorial Scholarship, is named after a well-respected and distinguished firefighter who provided nearly 38 years of service to the LAFD and was instrumental in establishing the Relief’s Scholarship Program. He was a nationally recognized pioneer in the field of Hazmatology and was the first elected retired Trustee to serve on the Los Angeles Firemen’s Relief Association Board for 18 years until his death.
The Memorial Scholarship Award is awarded to a dependent of a Relief Association member who passed away while serving as an active Los Angeles City Fire Department member.
The Bill Goss Scholarship Award, enacted in 2008, is in honor of the dedication and uncompromised commitment he gave as Deputy Chief to the fire service family. Goss first served as a Relief Association Trustee, and later President, from 1945-1951. He returned to the Board in 1999, and served until his death in 2009. During his prestigious career with the LAFD, he held the ranks of Fireman, Auto Fireman, Captain, Battalion Chief and was the youngest Deputy Chief.
Other Scholarship Opportunities:
In addition to the Relief Association Scholarships, other organizations also offer separate opportunities. For information on the LAFD Merit Scholarship, please contact June Andrade at the LAFD Scholarship Fund by phone at (213) 840-0469 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information on the Firefighters First Credit Union scholarship, click here.
- Emily Vidovich (Leo Najarian Memorial Scholarship)
- Mackinzie Moncibais (Bill Goss Scholarship)
- Grant Kitahata (Relief Scholarship)
- Noah Killian (Relief Scholarship)
- Elizabeth Hovey (Relief Scholarship)
- Emma Tsujimura (Relief Scholarship)